Skip to main content

IMPATIENCULOSIS


Rapid fire questions: Answer either yes/no.
  1. Do you get frustrated if Goggle doesn't show up the results in few seconds?
  2. Do you keep on refreshing your Facebook page to see the number of likes for a photo that you had uploaded a few minutes earlier?
  3. Is your blood pressure directly proportional to the video buffer time in Youtube? 
  4. Do you get carried away with the irrational thoughts when your friend does not reply you ever after "seen" 
  5. Do you scoff at the traffic while waiting at the signals.
  6. Do you skip reading lengthy forward messages and in turn reproach the person who had sent you that?
  7. Do you often feel "When will my dreams come true?
  8. Do you think you are taking decisions instantaneously these days(and later regretting them)? 
If you have answered YES for more than five questions..OMG.. then you have the symptoms and are highly prone to pervasive malady- "IMPATIENCULOSIS.

When I was browsing the web on one leisure afternoon,an online advertisement caught my attention - "Piano classes are available in the Lawrence area. I have years of teaching experience, as well as experience working with young children. All ages and levels are welcome! For more information please call xxxx"

I was super excited seeing that advertisement.Images of me enthusiastically waving my hands and playing my favourite songs on a piano overwhelmed me.I saved the number in my contact list and with lot of excitement and vigour I called the number. Heart throbbing in anxiety.A lady attended the call.

Hello..!
Hello good evening, I am Nazma. I saw your advertisement of piano classes. May I know further information regarding that?
Oh for sure..! Please..! What information do you need?
May I know about fee particulars..
Oh it is 15 dollars for an hour.( I felt reasonable and affordable.Out of over anxiety I intrigued)
"May I know how long does it take to play any song just by listening it?"
It depends from person to person Nazma, mostly around 5 to 6 years of good practice.

"5 to 6 years of good practice!! " I felt numb for a second. After hearing that all I could say her was 'Thank you' and hung up the call.Now I imagined myself as a tiny Lilliput in-front of a giant piano board.Disappointment engulfed me. I was continuously reflecting on this and after sometime I realised the fact that playing piano is an art, it takes time and effort to master it.I laughed at my frivolous question and asked myself why did I want to learn it instantly in few months.Why am I falling short of perseverance.Then I perceived that I was suffering from the omni present,deleterious ailment IMPATIENCULOSIS.

 
This is caused by the pathogen produced from the "instant technology" which is chasing and plotting to kill " Patience" and "perseverance" in humans. Ubiquitous internet, instant messages, unlimited free calling, one day door delivery, fast online transactions, smart applications that can buy you any ticket under the sun without taking strain of waiting in serpentine queues, online examinations that reflect your fate instantaneously, though exemplify the formidable technological evolution takes quite a toll on the patience levels.

Researchers found the rapid pace of technology can lead to more nimble thinking, but that “trends are leading to a future in which most people are shallow consumers of information.” Google found out that slowing search results just by 4/10th of a second would reduce number of searches by 8,000,000 a day. Author Professor Frank Partnoy a leading expert on finance from the University of San Diego, says the ‘crush of technology’ drives us to ‘make instant decisions’ and follow our short-term animal instincts.

The startling aspect of this Impatienculosis is that, people are completely oblivious to its invasion and cannot identify its presence.This instant frame of mind is making all its way into the social relationships.If Gen-X marriages are made in heaven then the modern Gen-Y marriages are made in online. People are reluctant even to spend quality time in deciding on the life partner and relying on the instant ephemeral feelings.The plight of next generation from these instant mind parents is awful.They might totally end up having no sign of patience.
 
The only cure is acknowledging that "Instant gratifications comes at the cost of loosing patience"and making an effort to control its rule over us.Professor Frank also writes that children who delay their reactions end up ‘happier, more successful, superior at building social skills, feeling empathy and resolving conflicts'. So try to take that one additional minute before we make a final decision in any aspect. 

Let us not miss the life in our life..!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Country & Our World

T he result of waking up very early in a winter morning and standing in a serpentine queue for all most two hours in the biting cold winds was an entry pass to be a part of  Mr. Barack Obama's visit to our college.After signing on the ticket and receiving it, I was overwhelmed with excitement that I am going to see the remarkable President of USA. Immediately I captured the ticket and uploaded it in my Facebook.By seeing my excitement, one of my friends asked me- 'I think you will not be this happy if you get a chance to meet our(Indian) Prime minister..!!' For a moment I was taken aback.I really didn't understand what was her interpretation of my excitement. "I would also be excited to see my country's leader and why on earth did you get this doubt?" I questioned her. She smiled and said your enthusiasm to see USA's president..! "If we are not the local Americans, shouldn't we get excited to see a legendary personality who had rewritten th

Things This Little Book Told Me..!!

O ne day I was curiously looking at all the book titles,row by row at our office library. A large collection of technical tomes always left me diffident.So I went ahead and searched for a book at the general section.With a sky blue jacket, having an image rolled on both sides, with an artistic font of title and a cute cartoon of a bird hanging at the center, a book grabbed my attention. It was written- " Things A Little Bird Told me- confessions of the creative mind."  My connection to the word creative (As I always brag I am !! ) made me to have a glimpse of what the book was all about. Author -  Biz Stone,   Co-founder of Twitter. I never heard about him, appreciated my general knowledge levels and then continued reading the cover page. At the bottom, it was written "A unique gift of perspective to anyone dreaming of taking risks, changing their lives, and changing the world ". Interesting and relative, I thought and borrowed it from our library. Embarked on

Helping Poor is " NOT A CHARITY" but "A RESPONSIBILITY"

Going to a school, watching children playing all around, hearing to their naive explanation of things was something that I always craved for.This intuitive interest in children made me instinctively give my name as a volunteer for a social event where we visit a government school and teach them the importance of cleanliness. As a person who had never been at a government school,I am oblivious to the conditions in which government school students study.I was taken aback by the sight of those little kids walking and playing bare foot.I was struck by noticing the dark classrooms without tube lights, unhygienic washrooms, lack of basic amenities like benches, boards, books.I inquired a few of the kids about their life style and their answers left me crestfallen.At a tender age, they started supporting their family by sharing work at home.Eating fruits is a celebrating activity for them.Their pathetic living conditions and their poor educational standards had moved me a lot that I coul