Skip to main content

Helping Poor is " NOT A CHARITY" but "A RESPONSIBILITY"

Going to a school, watching children playing all around, hearing to their naive explanation of things was something that I always craved for.This intuitive interest in children made me instinctively give my name as a volunteer for a social event where we visit a government school and teach them the importance of cleanliness.

As a person who had never been at a government school,I am oblivious to the conditions in which government school students study.I was taken aback by the sight of those little kids walking and playing bare foot.I was struck by noticing the dark classrooms without tube lights, unhygienic washrooms, lack of basic amenities like benches, boards, books.I inquired a few of the kids about their life style and their answers left me crestfallen.At a tender age, they started supporting their family by sharing work at home.Eating fruits is a celebrating activity for them.Their pathetic living conditions and their poor educational standards had moved me a lot that I couldn't abstain myself from writing this.

Is it the sole responsibility of government to look after them? We spend lavishly in shopping, in food courts and for entertainment.Many online shopping portals offer attractive prices that we sometimes do not even consider buying things (just by changing the color and style of it) which we already have.Pouring money at shopping malls in weekends,celebrating parties (sometimes even for no reason at all), going for outings..etc has become the culture of youth in our cities.To figure out the amount we spend let me bring in few statistics.An employee(IT employee especially) will enjoy at least one weekend in a month as stated.On a fine weekend, a group of 5 friends go to a movie (at multiplex), party(at food court) and shop(in a mall).

Movie ticket cost : 150*5=750
Food courts:100*5=500
shopping:500*5=2500
travel:50
Total: Rs.3800 for 5 persons i.e 760 per person.

There are 4 Lakh (Approx) IT employees in Hyderabad itself. Cut half of them, for various reasons that they might not spend in this way.So rest 2 Lakh employees, so 2,00,000* 760=15.2 crores...!!!!!!
Only in Hyderabad, the IT employees if they spend 15.2 crores... consider the huge amount if we bring the whole nation into consideration.

Let me do that for you.. India homes 2.8 million IT employees and again let us only consider 1.4 million for our survey.Now 14,00,000*750=105,00,00,000 =105 Crores.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So if all these people resolve to contribute this amount to a government school near by, imagine the huge change we can bring in the lives of those kids.

On one side, the so called future citizens are struggling for mere survival and on the other, the present citizens are spending lavishly for mere enjoyment.I am not asking to give up enjoying and spend for social work but asking you to give up one weekend's enjoyment and contribute to those kids..Just emphasize if we are one among them(Who knows, its mere probability that you are born to your parents) Helping poor is NOT CHARITY but is our RESPONSIBILITY.Please start doing it.





Comments

  1. You have done really a good job by doing above analysis, try to publish it, on all social networks, so that people will understand and aware of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Country & Our World

T he result of waking up very early in a winter morning and standing in a serpentine queue for all most two hours in the biting cold winds was an entry pass to be a part of  Mr. Barack Obama's visit to our college.After signing on the ticket and receiving it, I was overwhelmed with excitement that I am going to see the remarkable President of USA. Immediately I captured the ticket and uploaded it in my Facebook.By seeing my excitement, one of my friends asked me- 'I think you will not be this happy if you get a chance to meet our(Indian) Prime minister..!!' For a moment I was taken aback.I really didn't understand what was her interpretation of my excitement. "I would also be excited to see my country's leader and why on earth did you get this doubt?" I questioned her. She smiled and said your enthusiasm to see USA's president..! "If we are not the local Americans, shouldn't we get excited to see a legendary personality who had rewritten th

Things This Little Book Told Me..!!

O ne day I was curiously looking at all the book titles,row by row at our office library. A large collection of technical tomes always left me diffident.So I went ahead and searched for a book at the general section.With a sky blue jacket, having an image rolled on both sides, with an artistic font of title and a cute cartoon of a bird hanging at the center, a book grabbed my attention. It was written- " Things A Little Bird Told me- confessions of the creative mind."  My connection to the word creative (As I always brag I am !! ) made me to have a glimpse of what the book was all about. Author -  Biz Stone,   Co-founder of Twitter. I never heard about him, appreciated my general knowledge levels and then continued reading the cover page. At the bottom, it was written "A unique gift of perspective to anyone dreaming of taking risks, changing their lives, and changing the world ". Interesting and relative, I thought and borrowed it from our library. Embarked on